Don’t you like to have your baby sit with you during meals or doing a get-together? In doing this, their eating and social skills will increase tremendously, as they will get to spend time with the entire family. Therefore, it is important that the baby is comfortable and safe at the same time. That’s what high chairs are meant to do! It is essential that you choose the right high chair for them to serve the purpose right. Remember that your little one will keep on growing; hence you need to look for a high chair that can fit into the growing kid.
Safety Tips While Using A Baby High Chair
Ensure that the crotch strap is secured well so that your little one can sit comfortably, without wriggling around.
See that the harness system has either 3-point or 5-point with the chair to keep your baby safe.
Make a routine of using the high chair only during mealtime, not mostly during playtime.
Don’t leave your child in the high chair when there is nobody around in the room.
Don’t let your child stand or climb the high chair.
Keep the high chair away from tables and countertops.
It is important to keep a close watch on your child when they are playing around. In the early months, make sure to be around them all the time. Often chairs and tables can topple over, and your kid can fall on a hard surface or object so make sure to keep a watch on them diligently.
Types of High Chairs for Babies
High chairs have a number of variants according to style, material, and other features. Here are some of the most popular variants:
- Standard high chair
This high chair comes with an attached tray that can be used as a serving table for them when they eat. It is recommended that you use this high chair for your baby around six months of age.
- European-style high chair
This high chair does not come with a tray. It is meant for kids in their toddler years and features an adjustable seat and footrest position.
- Portable or hook-on high chair
If you like to travel a lot with your kid, this high chair is a great option for you. It comes with a compact seat that can clip on to a table or dining chair. So make sure that you know the weight limit of the high chair and also ensure that the table you clip on to the high chair with is a sturdy one.
- Booster seat
This seat is to be used by kids between the age group of 18 to 24 months. These seats often come with a three-point harness system rather than a five-point harness system.
- Chair harness
This comes with a fabric seat cover that is attached to the back of the chair and also features safety straps to position your kid in place. It is a convenient option when you are travelling with your kid.
Factors to Consider When Buying A Baby High Chair
- Size: Make sure that you check the size of the high chair and whether or not it will be too huge for your room. Check on how much space it will take in your room.
- Stability: Here’s a rule of thumb, the wider is the base of the chair, the greater will be the stability of the chair. Ensure that the high chair can withstand your kid’s antics like shaking or pushing the chair.
- Recline: Whether you want to feed your baby or make them sit with you by the dining table in a family dinner, high chairs with reclining option is ideal for babies across all ages. However, it is recommended for you to wait until your baby starts to have solid food to make this option comfortable for them.
- Ease of cleaning: Having a high chair that is easy to clean can be a big stress relief. Consider the primary material of the chair, whether it is wood or plastic to be sure that it does not trap food. See whether the seat cushions can be sponged off or require machine washing.
- Safety belt: Would you not want your baby to sit with ease when they are relaxing in their high chair? A harness is essential for your baby. Even though it is optional, it is still a safer option. Many high chairs come with a three-point harness but try going for a five-point harness, that makes it even safer.
- Adjustability: See if the high chair can be adjusted in terms of its height and positioning of the harness and footrest. Consider both of these two options – the height of the baby as well as how long you want to keep the high chair for feeding the baby for the longevity of use.
- Tray: A lot of high chairs come with a removable feeding tray for the convenience of use. So see for yourself if you want a washable tray or you are okay with wiping it with hands.
- Wheels: Be sure that the wheels of your high chair can be locked in when not being used. You wouldn’t want your elder kid to push their little sibling when you would not be able to attend them.
- Style: If you are the kind who loves aesthetically pleasing home items along with being specific about their usability – go for brightly coloured plastic high chairs. You could also consider a bigger high chair if you have an open space in the house.
- Portability: If your family loves to travel a lot, you would want to consider a high chair that you can carry along with you. Ask yourself if you need a mini high chair that can be strapped to a chair or the kind of high chair that can be tucked in your car when you are making that long trip.
9 Best High Chairs for Babies
Now that you are well acquainted with all the specific features in general, the safety tips, as well as the types of high chairs, here in we list out for you the ten best high chairs for your baby in the market at present:
- Graco Blossom 4-In-1 High Chair
The Graco Blossom 4-In-1 is an easy to use unique seating system giving you options that are way more than an ordinary high chair. It is easy to assemble and comes with comfortable seating. It comes with a 5-point harness system that can be typically converted to a 3-point harness system as well. This is one of the few high chairs in the market that can accommodate two differently –aged children to fit in it perfectly, as it comes with various seating options at one time. However, it does not mean you allow two babies of the same age to sit in it at the same time.
Ease of use: Aforementioned, this high chair comes with the option to convert from a 5-point buckle system to a 3-point harness system. It also consists of shoulder straps for the ultimate comfort of your baby when they are sitting on the chair. It grows with your baby, which means you can potentially use it for years to come. Along with the high chair feature, it also comes with a booster seat that can strap your baby well when they are seated with you in the dining chair.
Ease of cleaning: It is fairly easy to clean the Graco Blossom 4-in-1 high chair. The extra insert in the infant seat can easily be pulled out and removed and is compatible with washing machine. The main seat cushion is however not compatible with the washing machine but it can easily be wiped down by hand. The tray is safe to be washed or wiped as you feel is convenient.
Setup and Portability: The setup of this high chair is very easy and requires nothing more than two screws. You would be surprised to know the setup won’t take you more than 10 minutes. It has a large footprint and cannot fold, but it is portable as it comes with wheels.
Value for money: This is unmistakably the best high chair for babies across all ages, which means it can be used for a couple of years comfortably. It is versatile and easy to use. It is well worth the money you spend in it, as it comes in a sturdy design and gives you a good amount of mileage in terms of the number of years you plan to use it. Undoubtedly, a great value for money!
Why We Recommend It
- It can convert from an infant chair with a recline to a traditional baby high chair to even a booster seat, which means that you can seat two babies of different ages at the same time.
- The 5-in-1-harness system can easily convert to a 5-point harness system.
- You can use it as a high chair, infant booster or an infant feeding booster or even a youth chair to accommodate two kids simultaneously, adding to the longevity of the high chair.
- The seat back insert is adjustable and removable. It can adapt and grow with the baby. Further, it is also washable and wipe-able.
- Fisher Price Space-Saver High Chair
The Fisher Price Space-Saver is ideal for those parents who want all the essential features of a high chair but lack much space in their house. It has three height positions and three recline positions, along with it being highly adjustable. The padding beneath the seat, along with the tray, is compatible with washing machine. For extra safety, it further comes with a five-point harness system. It is overall easy to use, easy to assemble and durable.
Ease of use: The high back of the chair provides great support, security comfort to your baby. The five-point harness system adds further security to the chair than most other high chairs that come with three-point harness system.
Durability: It grows and adapts with your kid. The upper part of the back can actually come off, and it allows the chair to be converted to a toddler booster seat. The seat can connect to any chair as it is lightweight and you can even take it with you when you are doing a road trip with your little one, or even going to your friend’s house for lunch or dinner.
Value for money: This high chair offers all the features of a full-size high chair without taking enough room space. It can be attached to almost any chair in your kitchen or dining room. The tray that comes with the high chair is compatible with washing machine, and it also comes with a removable seat padding that is resistant to stains and can be washed in a washing machine. The 5-point harness system keeps your little one securely seated. You can even convert it to a booster seat making it adaptable to your growing baby.
Portability: You can fold it up and put it away when it is not being used, which is also pretty quick and easy to do. Because of its compact size and the ability to fold away, it can also be used in your lawn or garden area. You can even pop it in your car when holidaying, as it is lightweight and easy to assemble.
Why Do We Recommend It
- It has three height adjustments and a three position recline.
- The pad beneath the seat is washing machine compatible and easy to maintain.
- The arms rest can also be removed or pulled closer to the baby.
- It comes with three modes: newborn cradle, infant booster with tray and toddler booster.
- The five-point harness system allows for more security and comfort.
- It can easily be assembled and folded away when not in use.
- Boon Flair High Chair
The Boon Flair is a funky looking high chair that is designed to easily adjust to any height using a pneumatic lift. It is extremely easy to clean and therefore it helps to take away food that is often caught in the tray or the edges. The surface of the chair is wipe-able and the cushion of the seat is compatible with washing machine. This high chair also comes with a compatible foot brake that adds to its ease of use.
Ease of use & Portability: It is a simplistic high chair that comes with a brightly coloured foot button and a foot brake. It allows kids up to four to hold up comfortably. The height can be adjusted through the pneumatic lift, as it rises up and down depending on the desired height. It has six casters hidden under the base that helps the chair to move in any direction. These casters can be locked or unlocked depending on whether you want to use it or not. It very simple to lock the casters – you only have to depress the brake on the outside of the base, with your foot. That’s it!
Feeding: The Boon Flair high chair comes with two compact tray liners that can strap on to the feeding tray, which is also washable and wipe-able. The feeding tray of the Boon Flair is comparatively smaller than most other trays. It also comes with a five-point harness seat belt system for extra comfort and safety, making it extra safe for both growing babies as well as toddlers. The removable trays make cleanup significantly easier. You only have to pop the tray out when your kid is done with eating.
Why Do We Recommend It
- It comes with a five-point harness system for extra comfort.
- Cleaning with no extra crevices or cracks is easy.
- It has a removable seat pad that is also compatible with washing machine.
- The pedestal base makes it extremely easy to move around and also does not scratch on the wooden floor.
- The removable trays make cleanup significantly easier.
- The pneumatic lift helps to adjust the height of the seat effortlessly. There is a button on the base of the chair that will automatically lower the chair.
- Cosco Simple Fold High Chair
The Cosco Simple Fold high chair is a slim fold high chair that can facilitate feeding your kid. It is comfortable, easy to use and comes with an intuitive design that makes it hard for children to resist sitting on the chair. As children tend to grow with age, most high chairs are not able to adjust children of all weight. The Cosco slim chair is comparatively different. It allows growing children to use it for a longer period of time. This fold-up chair comes with a three-point harness system that ensures that your child is securely fastened in one place. This three-point harness system also reduces the movement of the child while you are feeding them to reduce the amount of mess created by spilling of food.
Ease of use and setup: The Cosco Fold Up high chair is easy to assemble as it comes in a sturdy design and requires no tool to set up. It is one fold up into a high chair that you can carry with you when you are going outdoors, as it is lightweight and compact to easily move around.
Maintenance: This high chair comes with an easy wipe seat that makes it easy to get rid of all the accumulated food and saves you time trying to remove stains. It also does not compromise on the hygiene that is essential to keep your child healthy.
Safety: It comes with a three-point harness system that prevents children from rolling over and toppling from the fold up high chair. It is space conscious and is compact and functional in design.
Value for money: This fold up high chair is easy to take with you when you are going outdoors. It has an adjustable tray that grows with your kid, giving them the required space when they need it. You can easily fold it down for storage when you are not using it. You can easily pack it in your car when you are planning for a road trip with your kid. Overall, it is a great value for money.
Why Do We Recommend It
- It folds flat and stands on it making it easy to keep in storage when not in use.
- Its 3-point security harness system allows for ease of use and comfort ensuring safety when you are feeding your child in it.
- The seat pad is removable, and it can be easily wiped.
- It has three dining positions and a built-in snack and cup holder.
- The design of the high chair is simple yet sturdy and does not take pain is assembling.
- Its compact fold is great for taking it outdoors or fitting it in the car.
- Stokke Tripp Trapp High Chair
The Stokke Tripp Trapp high chair is a secure and sturdy chair for babies from 6 months of age. With its easy adjustments, it can grow with your child and can hold up to 300 pounds. It is made of cultivated beechwood and comes with a variety of distinctive colours. It has been designed with the comfort of a footrest area. Further, it comes with a five-point harness system for infants that can work equally great for children up to the age of three.
Ease of use: You can adjust the height of the seat and footrest separately, depending on the comfort and seating position of your little one. The footrest area can act as a floor for toddlers and babies. It could also act as a step to the seat for children. Three-year-old children will not need the support of their parents to lift them up to the chair.
Design: This high chair has been ergonomically designed with incredible support and comfort for babies. It allows you to lift your little ones to the height of your dining table, perfect for family get-togethers. Even though it comes without a tray, it is secure and durable. The harness prevents from falling or tipping as the shoulder straps help to prevent the baby from leaning over in the high chair. The one-hand release of the buckling system comes in handy when you need to carry your crying baby out of the chair quickly.
Maintenance: The seat of the chair is made of plastic and can easily be wiped or cleaned. The sleek wooden design and cushion is not removable but is convenient to use.
Why Do We Recommend It
- It helps to bring your baby to the height of the dining table and perfect for family dinners or get-together.
- It comes with baby sets and cushion accessories, which gives extra comfort to your baby.
- The seats are highly adjustable and adjustable footplate positions.
- It comes in sleek and classic Scandinavian design.
- OXO High Chair
This OXO high chair “balances baby’s comfort and grown-ups’ design sensibility”. The base is made of wooden frame and a plastic-and-foam seat unity, which is available in an array of colours. It is adaptive to your growing kid and allows fitting in kids between the ages of six months to five years. If your kid is above three years, the crotch post, the tray and harness can be removed to transform the high chair to a youth chair so that your child can sit comfortably and securely in a family table.
Ease of use and cleanup: This high chair is perfect and comfortably fits in kids from the age of six months up to 5 years of age. The footrest and tray are also height-adjustable. The tray is depth-adjustable as well and can be pulled up to the table. The seat, cushions and back are contoured for extra comfort. It also comes with a five-point harness system that securely holds the baby when they are seated. We know how messy kids can get when you are feeding them, hence the cushion is easily wipeable and takes away sticky messes in the cushion.
Durability: This high chair is made of sleek wood and saves space as well because of its sleek design. The height and depth adjustments, as well as the ability to remove the parts that convert the baby chair to a youth chair, adds to the longevity of use of the chair. The cushion is contoured that allows for good posture for your kid. No added tool is required for adjustments.
Why Do We Recommend It
- It comes with 3 levels of seat height and depth adjustment that adapts to a growing child.
- It can convert to a youth chair for children between the age of three and five years of age.
- There are three footrest settings that can adjust independently.
- The seat height, depth and footrest come with tool-free adjustability.
- The tray comes with capacity for storage and is stable when placed on a table.
- The 5-point harness system provides security and comfort to your child when seated.
- The cushions are removable and can be wiped-off for cleaning.
- Baby Bjorn High Chair
The Baby Bjorn high chair is compact and stylish and uses a close-fitting tray instead of a harness that makes it easy to clean. It is lightweight and makes it easy to move around. The tray helps in holding the baby in place instead of a buckle system that makes it a little restrictive for younger babies. It is easy to assemble and also easy to clean. The body is sleek and compact in design and comes with a smooth finish, which is easy to clean. When you fold it, it becomes even more compact, so it is ideal for those who are space conscious and even for those who are mostly travelling. It balances functionality and sleek design, making it an impressive choice.
Design: The design of the tray instead of harness buckles means that there are no straps, gently holding your child in a secure place. The backrest is curved, and the foot support makes it comfortable even if it does not have a cushion padding on the seat.
Ease of use: Compared to most high chairs, the Baby Bjorn is a lot more compact making it easy to store in any corner of the room. The tabletop has a lift-off tray, which can be easily cleaned. The tray can be clipped or unclipped as many times in a day as you want. It is ideal for all kids up to the age of three years. The table slides in and out to various locking positions, depending on the size of the kid.
Portability & Safety: As the size of the chair is compact, it can easily be taken to places, even in your car. There are no harness straps, but a table, that can be opened up or down. When the table is closed it will keep your child secure and safe, and vice versa.
Why Do We Recommend It
- The ergonomic design of this high chair makes it easy for feeding and eating.
- The backrest is curvy which hugs the baby’s body and helps in good posture.
- It features a foldable and lockable safety table to keep your baby firmly in place.
- It is snug fit, which means it prevents from the place to be less messy.
- It folds flat for ease of storage and for travelling purpose.
- Joovy Nook High Chair
The Joovy Nook high chair uses a large swing-open tray to prevent your feeding time to be less messy and simple. The tray operates with a one-hand motion making it easy for you to use without using your hands. All you need to do is merely swing the tray open and unbuckle your kid to take them out of the chair. It is easily foldable, and hence it can be kept in storage with ease.
Design: It is a full-size high chair with padded leatherette seat. The leatherette seat easily is wiped and helps to remove stains and crannies. It comes fully assembled making it hassle-free for you.
Durability: The seat is made of a cosy leatherette material with a five-point harness system for comfort and ease of seating for your baby. When your child grows up to be able to eat themselves, the tray can also be detached. The high chair is lightweight and folds easily for you to store it.
Why Do We Recommend It
- It is easy to clean.
- It comes with a swing-open tray with four depth adjustments.
- The seat is made of deluxe leatherette, which is easily washable.
- It comes with a folding and compact space-saving chair.
- The backseat is curvy to hold the body of the baby firmly.
- Chicco 360 High Chair
The Chicco 360 high chair might come last on our list, but it is nevertheless one of the best in the market. It comes with a washable fabric seat pad, which makes it easy to clean and is also washing machine compatible. The rubber grips clamp to the table quickly and safely. It further comes with a compact fold and deluxe carry bag, which is ideal for outings.
Best features: This high chair from Chicco comes with innovative seat locks in 6 positions for an interactive mealtime. It also has a snap on the serving tray that allows for a clean surface for a meal when you are outdoors. The fabric of the seating pad is washable. The rubber table clamps for secure attachment.
Ease of use: The hook-on chair comes with a rotating seat, which means that if you are in the kitchen, your baby can face towards the kitchens, while you are preparing dinner for them. The fabric of the seat can be hand washed as well.
Why Do We Recommend It
- It can rotate 360 degrees and can lock in six positions.
- The snap-on the serving tray makes feeding sessions clean and less messy.
- It can fold completely, which is convenient for storage and travelling purpose.
- It can fasten securely with a single lock attachment that can work on most tables.
- It has a removable seat pad with a three-point harness.
Once your kid starts to have solid food, a high chair can not only give them comfort when they are eating but also allow them for the required security. Feeding time can get really messy with your baby spilling food every now and then, which is why a high chair comes in handy for babies. You don’t have to take the pain of cleaning places where your baby spills food. Furthermore, you can secure your baby in a comfortable position. High chairs are durable and can easily accommodate kids between the ages of six months to 5 years of age at least. They come with the option of secure harness system and are safe for toddlers as well as growing kids. Now that you have this comprehensive guide, we are sure you don’t have to take the pain of searching for the best high chairs online rigorously. Just go out there and get for yourself your choice of high chair depending on the comfort for your little one and your ease of use.